Thursday, March 21, 2013

Sleepless Nights

Last night I went to bed early, and woke up at midnight wide awake.  I have a horrible habit of checking email or facebooking when I can't sleep and when I did an email popped up from the director of Summit Dog Rescue with several dogs who needed help.  They are all in Southeast Colorado, at full shelters and in danger of being put to sleep at any time.  Welp, there goes my night of sleep!  Eventually I did nod off for a while, but not without weird dreams and those poor dogs swirling around in my head.  

Emails like this one aren't rare.  I only get a small number of all the email's that fly around every day with people trying to save dogs from euthanasia in shelters all across the country.  They usually have a subject like "CODE RED" and "URGENT" and come with descriptions and pictures of the dogs that need saving.  This particular email contained about 14 dogs that were in extreme danger.  Below are a few pictures, and some of the text from the email.  There are so many wonderful people trying to help, but without enough fosters or adoptive homes there is only so much that can be done.  Sometimes I feel like we are playing god...which is a horrible feeling...deciding which dog we might be able to foster and save, and hoping that someone else will do the same for the others before they meet their untimely end.



If there anyone would like to help us save these dogs, please contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment